CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: How smart are you ?

"Arne Chr.Jorgensen" wrote:

> From: "Arne Chr.Jorgensen" <instel@...>
>
> Hi again,
>
> This was the thing I wanted to ask you about, when I struck on the
> keyboard trouble.
>
> Okay, here it goes. I am working on a car that has to pass inspection
> by the department of motor vehicles, and I have had to do a lot of work
> on it. On this ( a Mazda ) I had to remove the drive shafts, in order to
> replace a brake disc, and I also had to replace a worn out rubber
> gaiter for the constant velocity joint.
>
> This thing would not come off, so I had to cut it, - and I have to
> replace it.

After-market boots are available (at least in the US) that split lengthwise,
so that the boot can be replaced without any disassembly.

> The constant velocity joint:
>
> Inside it is riding on 6 steel balls. These are secured in groves in
> the body. Does any one know how the make these ?
> I just can't understand how they do it. In a ball bearing, I would
> guess that if all the balls was placed tight together, you would be able
> to get the outer and inner rings together, with the balls inside. Then
> you evenly place the balls, and secure them with the guide rings. But
> on these joints, there is no space other than the groves, - you can't
> move the balls around anywhere. So how is it possible to manufacture
> such things ?

In my shop manuals, they do show how to take one apart for cleaning
and inspection. It seemed pretty complicated, and I think there may be
special tools for getting it back together. They may use a frame to distort
the outer part so the balls can be slipped in.

Arne Chr.Jorgensen 1999-10-30 10:38:21 UTC How smart are you ? Jon Elson 1999-10-30 23:25:03 UTC Re: How smart are you ? PTENGIN@x... 1999-10-31 00:16:18 UTC Re: How smart are you ? Peter Smith 1999-10-31 14:05:25 UTC Re: How smart are you ?