CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Linux CAD

Posted by Hugh Currin
on 2002-01-07 11:06:32 UTC
Bill & all:

I must be too used to really old archane CAD programs. I've used CadKey for
most of my drawings for many years.

I've found linux QCad to be intuitive and easy to use. I'm now using it as my
main design CAD, at least until I find a good 3D linux CAD. I've found a few
items which don't seem to work as advertised but these aren't a big problem.
For the cost it is a great system.

I don't follow the problems with layers you mention. I haven't found anything
here that didn't work for me, maybe I haven't tried the commands you mention
though. The view of the paper can be turned off in the options, either for a
particular drawing or as the default. I have had problems with scaling and
centering the printed output though. All in all I like QCad a lot.

I was, however, not impressed with the CAM extension to QCad.

I'm now drifting toward using QCad and Vector together. If the work can be
defined in 2D this should work well. :-)

--
Hugh Currin, PE
Mechanical Engineering Technology

Discussion Thread

Bill Vance 2002-01-06 13:18:37 UTC Linux CAD hotaluminum 2002-01-06 14:48:29 UTC Re: Linux CAD Terry L. Ridder 2002-01-06 15:36:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linux CAD Michael Shields 2002-01-06 18:04:52 UTC Re: Linux CAD Steve Smith 2002-01-06 20:51:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linux CAD dlantz@a... 2002-01-07 09:20:10 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linux CAD Bill Vance 2002-01-07 10:46:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linux CAD dlantz@a... 2002-01-07 10:53:18 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linux CAD Hugh Currin 2002-01-07 11:06:32 UTC Re: Linux CAD