CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Software to Controler compatability?

Posted by Chris L
on 2002-01-07 20:38:34 UTC
uhdie1 wrote:

> (snipo)
>
> For instance Cadlink Profilre lab outputs in HPGL direct to
> controllers? So you need controlers that understand HPGL as opposed
> G Code?

The answer to your "Direct to" question will depend on what you end up using
for a control. Some Controls prefer, or rather require that you send a "file"
to them via a Serial Port connection from the Pc the file (toolpath code)was
created on. This is real common with OEM controls where the "file" is
transferred to a Data-Buffer (Ram) in their proprietary controller hardware
and then the operator executes the job from the control interface.

If you use a control along the lines of FlashCut, CNCPro, Master5, MicroK,
etc, Etc.... It is best to use a PC for the "dedicated" Controller and create
your Code on another computer. What you will do is "Save" the job file right
to the hard-drive on the Dedicated PC, preferably thru a typical Network
Connection. Then, simply execute the job from there.

Profile Lab can send out a whole lot more than just Hpgl. It will do all
sorts of user configurable posts (formats of code). It will do G-code and
lots of proprietary stuff because that really was their business.... to
supply a way to create items to make and then communicate with OEM equipment.
Remember, the OEM guys got to play with this CNC stuff long before guys like
me could afford to play with it.

> Ideally I would like to start trialing my machine with
> the old DANCAM shareware which I already have and then upgrade to
> professional software when my machine is working and will be ready to
> generate some income for me. But again I am concerned about
> compatability problems.

Compatability Problems will show up in due time IF they exist. Don't worry
about them. Quite a few in this group are familiar with DanCam and will help
if you ask. Your "trialing" concept sounds like a perfectly good idea. you
will get a real good feeling for what you are getting into, learn a whole
bunch and then move on to bigger and better things.

> If any one can help to clear the air on this area or
> point me in the direction of some tech info site or something like
> 'CNC for Dummies' !

You can find so much good info just by visiting the sites that people talk
about here. It would be neat if all of the contributers could put their
"offerings" on a links page. I don't think the Yahoo aspect of the group
offers this option. Maybe someone could offer space on their site for a
special "submit your links page" solely for the newcomers to this group.

Just keep ready ! You'll get there.

Chris L

Discussion Thread

uhdie1 2002-01-07 04:16:37 UTC Software to Controler compatability? wanliker@a... 2002-01-07 09:39:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Software to Controler compatability? Chris L 2002-01-07 20:38:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Software to Controler compatability?