CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Dual screws for large router tables

Posted by Chris L
on 2002-01-11 17:15:12 UTC
I agree with smoke here. I get countless inquiries asking how I keep my
machine from "racking". If it "racks", I've never detected it. It is only 36"
wide with one screw down the middle.

I think the real key here is to design a "box" or a "non-twistable" upper
spread (Y gantry), support it on substantial gantry legs, stand the legs on a
substantial bearing carriage and then Tie together the bottom of the gantry
with a rigid crossmember.

My machines center lead screw "pushes" on a piece of 1/2" thick cast aluminum
about 4" wide. That is bolted using 4 bolts on each end, under the bearing
carriages. This does not create all that much mass while being very, very
rigid even where you can see that I "dropped" a portion of this crossmember
to clear the under table motor (I did not want a motor sticking out the back
of the machine).

If you want to see how it looks, just have a look:
http://www.data-cut.com/page5mv.html
Rotate a few pictures down to see what I mean.

The really BIG issue with lead screws is the "length" of them, especially if
you run a fine lead. 600ipm is about all my 1/2 diameter, .5 lead screw can
handle before it looks like the "wobblys" are going to rip it apart. And, it
is "pulled" gently with a nut and double row angular contact bearing on each
end! The longer you go, the more wobbly she will get unless you up the
diameter. Fortunately, I have plenty of room to do that in the future if
necessary. 600ipm is plenty fast for an old man like me.

Chris L