CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: What do we want?

Posted by Ray Henry
on 1999-11-04 21:11:03 UTC
From: Jon Elson <jmelson@...>
>Subject: Re: Re: What do we want?
<snip>
>> Knowledge - One problem is that we have, are getting, or are
>> making/retrofitting cnc machines but do not have the experience with and
>> knowledge of machining to confidently program those machines to make the
>> kinds of product that we want or need to produce. (Speeds and feeds,
>> tooling, materials)
>
>Why do you say that? I think I have enough experience to do what I
>need done, I've been (seriously) machining about 18 years.

Sorry Jon. I just recently received digest 217. It was way out of
sequence.

When I re read my comment and your response I had to try to make ammends.
I was not intending to belittle the experience of anyone in these virtual
parts. I know that there are many folk here who have years and years of
standing up to mills and lathes. I should have said that "some" of us do
not have enough experience cutting chips to feel confident about our
machining decisions and would like to pass that task off to a computer
program. Then we can blame the damn thing when trouble comes. BTW I'm not
sure how well computer programs can substitute for experience.

Ray

Discussion Thread

Ray Henry 1999-11-04 21:11:03 UTC Re: What do we want?