CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Spindle motor drive belts MAXNC 10 UPDATED UPDATE

Posted by hansw
on 1999-11-04 23:45:46 UTC
Jon,
Update on the motor mount....

My new motor mount solves the belt problem... This mount was made
without a mill ( I had no choice )

http://home.swbell.net/hans_w/cnc.htm It runs smooth, even with a
belt that has been twisted and abused...

Yep ! I also noticed the wimpy motors... The new Compumotor 80 ozin
are fine for what I and I got them cheap...

I've seen Dan's circuit boards, and read his article in Nuts and Volts,
it got me started .. I did my own version of the L297/298circuit, as
electronics is my line...

The Compumotor motors I have are 8.4V motors and I modified a computer
PSU it now delivers 18V at 10A and it make these 80 ozin motor run
smooth... At 18V the L297/298 circuit is in current limit. I added my
"Smart Current Monitor" so the motors can't overheat if I forget to turn
off....

All circuit and layouts are published at my web site...

Thanks again for your help...

Hans Wedemeyer

Jon Anderson wrote:

> Hans,
>
> I moved from the wimpy stock steppers to some approx 120 oz/in motors
> and CyberPak drivers. I've only seen one or two ads for Cyberpak. They
> make a nice little driver that retails for about $110, a bit less in
> quantity. They much prefer the OEM market however. These will half
> step,
> and I was happy with the performance, but ran into a lost step
> problem.
> Went to 198 oz/in PacSci motors which ran quieter and cooler, but
> still
> lost steps.
> Then went with Compumotor OEM 650 drivers I got on a close out deal.
> Much much better setup. At 1000 step resolution the motors are very
> quiet and smooth. Power supply is 40 volts at about 8 amps. I have a
> PS
> out of some medical device that I can pull at least 50 volts/10 amps
> out
> of, trying to get that set up now.
> Even getting drivers and motors surplus and cheap, that all cost me
> almost $500. Not to mention the cost of the Sherline spindle and
> motor.
> Good thing my dad's a dealer...<G>
> I think it's a good frame to start with, but I just saw the latest HSM
> and Sherline now sells a CNC ready mill and lathe. Their brackets with
> thrust bearings are exactly what I've done for mine, they just have
> the
> bucks to make a real slick looking casting instead of fabbing from
> plate.
> I was about to go for Dan's drivers when I ran across the Compumotor
> drivers. That's not to knock Dan's stuff in any way whatever, and I'd
> recommend if you are going to really step up that you take a good look
> at what he's got. Hunt around for at least 140 oz/in motors, build a
> PS.
> Ebay the MAX and get a Sherline...
>
> Jon
>
> hansw wrote:
> >
> > From: hansw <hansw@...>
> >
> > Jon,
> > Thanks for the detailed reply. I looked at your picture, it looks a
> lot
> > sturdier than the crap MAXNC puts out.
> > The guy had the nerve to tell me " we designed it to be flexible"
> ...I
> > also notice the carcass of the MAXNC electronics hanging on the back
> of
> > the mill.... I purchased a complete MAXNC -10 because I needed a
> mill, I
> > did not want to build one....
> > What kind of electronics are you using to drive the motors ?
> >
> > Well I'm in the middle of making a new motor mount. it will be a
> four
> > point mount and will allow full adjustment... I'll post the results
> at
> > my web site when I done...
> >
> > Sure it's a deal, and now that I've re-built over half of it, I
> regret
> [...]

Discussion Thread

hansw 1999-11-04 23:45:46 UTC Re: Spindle motor drive belts MAXNC 10 UPDATED UPDATE Jon Anderson 1999-11-05 05:58:59 UTC Re: Spindle motor drive belts MAXNC 10 UPDATED UPDATE hansw 1999-11-05 06:11:55 UTC Re: Spindle motor drive belts MAXNC 10 UPDATED UPDATE