CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: more thoughts on torch height

Posted by mariss92705
on 2002-01-20 14:28:23 UTC
Dale,

Give me an hour or so. What is the voltage range from min to max?

Mariss

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "aspaguy" <spaguy@l...> wrote:
> ok experts,
> Why does the torch height control have to be separate from the
> normal z axis? I understand that it must be controlled by the
> changing distance from the work as opposed to being controlled by a
> cad drawing input, but if an encoder can tell a program to correct
> its course then tell a stepper or servo to respond, why couldnt a
> short program be written based on variances in torch voltage( as in
> the rutex system and others) to give step and direction signals. It
> seems it would be only a simple if/then program ( ie:if voltage
> increases then go clockwise, if voltage decreases, then go counter
> clockwise). All the torch height controls I've seen out their
> iclude a mechanism for moving the torch and are therefore quite
> expensive. If someone were to come up with a system to utilize an
> existing z axis for reliable torch height control, I would think
> there would be a good market for it. It seems a natural for someone
> like Marris or Dan Mauch. I can see where it might create an
> interface problem with current moter driver software, but, if you
put
> a plug on your Gecko or other driver that could be disconnected
from
> the computer and plugged into a black box. Or a more sophisticated
> programmer might write it into the torch control program that when
> THC is active Z axis commands from existing moter driver software
are
> toggled off, all being run from the computer, rather than a black
box.
> So what about it? Does my lack of knowledge of the facts have me
in
> fantasy land? or is this doable?
> Thanks Dale

Discussion Thread

aspaguy 2002-01-20 14:15:37 UTC more thoughts on torch height mariss92705 2002-01-20 14:28:23 UTC Re: more thoughts on torch height aspaguy 2002-01-20 16:40:07 UTC Re: more thoughts on torch height mariss92705 2002-01-20 19:40:42 UTC Re: more thoughts on torch height aspaguy 2002-01-20 22:13:06 UTC Re: more thoughts on torch height aspaguy 2002-01-20 23:22:14 UTC Re: more thoughts on torch height Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-01-21 11:09:34 UTC Re: more thoughts on torch height