CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: lead-screw vs common threaded rod

Posted by Hugh Currin
on 2002-01-22 22:14:49 UTC
Chris, et al:

And that is the real trick!!

If you start with inexpensive marginal components you run the risk of having
to replace them later. A real pain if you've put in many hours machining or
otherwise modifying them. "Man, I should have started with better stuff."

But, if you buy good stuff to start with, there is a reasonable chance the
machine won't work right off and that "good stuff" will have to be replaced.
Now that's an expensive pain in the .... "Why did I start with this
expensive stuff when I should have done a proof of concept out of cardboard?"

If you can solve this one you're better than I. I think the best we can do,
as I think Ballendo stresses, is to consider the trade offs and understand
the accuracies we're trying to achieve. I try but still make some scrap.

Ahh, so many chance to have profound learning experiences. :-)

--
Hugh Currin
Klamath Falls, OR

Discussion Thread

jmatthews_interfold 2002-01-22 11:08:36 UTC lead-screw vs common threaded rod dave_ace_me 2002-01-22 18:06:59 UTC Re: lead-screw vs common threaded rod dave_ace_me 2002-01-22 18:20:13 UTC Re: lead-screw vs common threaded rod ballendo 2002-01-22 19:59:16 UTC Re: lead-screw vs common threaded rod ballendo 2002-01-22 20:30:00 UTC Re: lead-screw vs common threaded rod Chris L 2002-01-22 21:53:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] lead-screw vs common threaded rod Hugh Currin 2002-01-22 22:14:49 UTC Re: lead-screw vs common threaded rod