CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] lead-screw vs common threaded rod

Posted by Chris L
on 2002-01-22 21:53:21 UTC
Jack,

If it is your goal to use a screw on a typical CNC router or Engraver, Might
I suggest a "4 start" Precision Lead Screw with a .5" lead and corresponding
"Wear Compensating Nut". (Often called a Rolled Lead screw and Anti-Backlash
Nut)

If you are going to go thru the all work of turning the ends down, securely
fitting them to a good set of double row angular contact bearings, you may as
well put something in place that is better than your typical acme with a
sloppy nut or a nut that you will need to attend to occasionally.

Mcmaster sells 6' lengths of the screw for around $120 and a nut for under
$30. There are various nuts that can be applied that cost more, but, I'm
afraid Mcmaster does not carry those.

The screws I am speaking of are really hard to find if you are stuck with
Mcmasters On-Line Catalog. The Index does not find them easily.

You must type in Page 945 in the search box to get there.

Once there, you can look at the static load ratings of the nuts to determine
if one of those nuts will work for you. I have seen these nuts overloaded in
continuous use and they hold up quite well. If nothing else, they are sure
cheap to replace. If you feel you need something better in a nut, you will
need to call Kerk Motion Products. Their "4 start" nuts, fit right on
Mcmasters screws as I was told that is where Mcmaster gets them from.

Now, IF you are strictly talking "fence locations" via screw adjustment,
Disregard everything I have said. It may be a "wave length" as you say, that
I am best not commenting on.

hope this helps,

Chris L