CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Universal motor (spindle) brush wear

on 2002-01-23 07:38:31 UTC
The MaxNC-15 (a Dayton 1/5hp AC/DC universal motor) is supposed to get
around 300 hrs (according to Dayton)... I have about that on mine now, and
still have life left in the brushes...

Bryan

-----Original Message-----
From: foxkidcmm [mailto:foxkidcmm@...]
Sent: Wednesday, 23 January, 2002 10:19 AM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Universal motor (spindle) brush wear

This may be OT. Please reply to me directly so as to not clutter the
list.

I am using a Porter Cable laminate trimmer as a CNC router spindle.
I have seen this and similar tools often used in CNC routers. AFAIK,
all such tools use universal motors, and are subject to brush wear.

My questions is: How long should I expect the universal motor
brushes to last? What sort of PM cycle is necessary to prevent
running out of brushes and damaging the motor?

I have about 50-100 hours of operation so far, mostly cutting
hardwood, and about 10 hours cutting aluminum.

If noone has guidelines, I'll make the measurements and report my
experience.

-- Carl
cmm@...
http://www.foxkid.net