CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Black Box goals

Posted by Chris L
on 2002-01-30 19:39:08 UTC
Hey Ron,
You noticed Something ! Controller overload?? I have been giggling myself.

Well, two things will happen here.... maybe three.

The First and most beneficial would be, if Mariss is a CNC superman and this
product comes to fruition. I am all for it ! I am sure the knowledge exists
in one person somewhere to do this. There are techno things that boggle my
mind everyday wondering "who actually thought this out and made it happen ?"
So it is possible.

Second thing may be, that once all this hard work is applied, This may not
turn out to be that $200 "Open Controller Heaven" That I've seen "dreamed"
about for years. There is a reason why some controls cost near $1k (and those
$15K as well), and "reasons" why some buy them that way. A reasonable
finished, working product...............is worth something.

Thirdly, If ALL the features can not possibly be made in the "first pass",
the "Open Aspect" of such a control will ONLY benefit those who are techy
enough to know what is going on and how to change it. Likely, it will not
come with a 600 page manual for a dummie like me !

Then, It will be a trickle down effect of just "who" creates "what" good part
or addition, then "how" it will fit into someone elses modification(s). This
is only good if what ever really cool fix or addition gets finished !

That 3rd part is what spooks me. I'm sure we all know for a fact that we
seldom "really" finish anything. Be honest, Did you really get all the trim
on that new garage you built two summers ago ?? And, you know, your wife
really would like some water lines hooked up to that spa you had to have last
winter so she could use it instead of Dust it !

So, If one is not techy enough to do "any and all" modifications to such a
software/Hardware project, He will never enjoy all the benefits it may
posess. Trying to coordinate all of the possible individual modifications
done here and there will be impossible.

So, for now, I'm glad I have a copy of the "purchased" stuff. However,
"when" this all works out and it is affordable, I'll be there to purchase IT.

Chris L