CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Microscope Z axis

Posted by Ian W. Wright
on 2002-02-04 02:02:50 UTC
HI Greg,

It sounds like you would be better looking at some of the home-made
telescope sites. They use self-contained boxes to drive telescope mounts and
there are several fairly simple circuits about - just do a web search for
'telescope motor' or something similar. As to the size of the motor this
will depend on the amount you step down the motor drive - direct drive,
geared or belt drive - and the amount of friction. As you are only working
in a 'Z' axis, you can reduce the size of motor required by installing some
form of counterweight - weight on a string over a pulley, small gas strut or
spring - and putting reduction gearing between the motor and the drive
rack/screw will reduce the size of the motor required as well as giving you
better resolution.

Best wishes,
Ian
(Watchmaker)
--

Ian W. Wright
Sheffield, UK
----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg's Clock Shop" <gregmc@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2002 6:49 PM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Microscope Z axis

> Hello Group A little bit different project. We would like to install a
step motor on the Z axis of a large Leitz toolmakers scope. Its a older
scope and needs a fine
> focus adjustment for high magnifications. None is
avail. to order today. I need help ? Is a stand alone controller with joy
stick control or just a jog
> and single step comand made ? I hate to use a pc whem
we omly need a jog to get close and a single step mode to get our fine focus
? Such a
> device as the " FROG" single axis control would be
perfect but we need a motor of 200 oz/in or bigger to raise the heavy iron
collum up an down
> any ideals for a electronics challenged watchmaker ?
Many Thanks