CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Set-up tooling left in spindle-collet

Posted by JanRwl@A...
on 2002-02-05 13:21:44 UTC
In a message dated 05-Feb-02 13:27:07 Central Standard Time,
datac@... writes:

> One of the fellows where I worked accidently flipped the switch on for a 3hp
> Perske. What he forgot was, that he left a Dial Indicater and Flex Arm in
> the
> chuck. As one could expect, the last rpm setting was sky high. The Dial
> came
> off rather quickly, the arm was hanging for dear life. Vibration was felt
> thruout the shop.

Chris: I'd be very interested to know, if you can tell us: Was the Perske
router motor (bearings) ruined by this mishap, or was your switching it off
done in time to "save" it?

One way to preclude such, and a way I have been often too lazy to implement
myself, is make the "last switch" for such a spindle-motor dependent on a
"key", specifically the "handle-end" of a collet-wrench, etc., so that MUST
be pushed back into the "key-hole" to make it POSSIBLE to switch-on the
spindle. And make it "grounds for immediate unconditional dismissal" for any
workman to attempt to "defeat" such a thing with a dummy-plug, etc.

Jan Rowland

JanRwl@A... 2002-02-05 13:21:44 UTC Set-up tooling left in spindle-collet CL 2002-02-05 13:50:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Set-up tooling left in spindle-collet Drew Rogge 2002-02-05 14:00:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Set-up tooling left in spindle-collet Chris L 2002-02-05 17:26:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Set-up tooling left in spindle-collet