CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 3D DXF to G-Code converter?

Posted by Chris L
on 2002-02-06 21:23:14 UTC
Boy Oh Boy,

I was just going to ask a similar question of the group.

I downloaded: Deskproto Lite, Millwizard, STLWork, and also DesKam.

So far, and with the main goal of STL use, I might be going with Millwizard.
I guess it does what I need without any real thought process involved. I have
used it already as a friend without a machine bought it so we could cut
something for him.

Deskam offers the 2d and 3d toolpath creation as well as STL but I have had
it crash a few times, take a really long time to load the same test file I am
using, and also tell me there are floating point errors while trying to load
the STL file. After it is loaded and you view the bugger.... It's just a
mess. Could be the file has gaps and openings though MillWiz opens it fine.

DeskProto Lite does not seem to allow me to alter the direction of cut but I
really am still looking at all the options. It's rotation capability is
pretty smooth because of its "scroll" options. It loads my test file fine.

STLWork, Well, still going to play with that. The waterline paths look
useful, but I did have it take a long time to load my test file. I prefer the
shaded view options of both DeskProto and Millwz a bit better because I can
rotate them. Yet, I am not done reviewing it either so maybe I still have
missed something. It does offer more STL related function than DesKam but
without the regular 2d Cam.

Sometimes I think I have just become more confused and should wait a little
longer to see what comes on the market next. Maybe that TurboCAM post I saw
coming up ?

So far the MillWiz has given me the fastest toolpaths with the least amount
of hassle. I do not know yet about quality of toolpaths and stuff like that.

Chris L