CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: 3D DXF to G-Code converter?

Posted by jeffswayze
on 2002-02-07 06:43:33 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Chris L <datac@l...> wrote:
> Boy Oh Boy,
>
> I was just going to ask a similar question of the group.
>
> I downloaded: Deskproto Lite, Millwizard, STLWork, and also DesKam.
>
> So far, and with the main goal of STL use, I might be going with
Millwizard.
> I guess it does what I need without any real thought process
involved. I have
> used it already as a friend without a machine bought it so we could
cut
> something for him.

I tried MillWizard lat night and had very good luck with one of their
examples (the triceretops - pictures to come :) ) However, the
program is so "wizard-like" that there's not much customization
possible. You can't rotate the part or segment it. You really can't
do anything except to indicate how much "Z" of the model to cut. $250
seems a little steep for this little functionality, but if all you're
doing is single-sided models it sure is easy to use.

> Deskam offers the 2d and 3d toolpath creation as well as STL but I
have had
> it crash a few times, take a really long time to load the same test
file I am
> using, and also tell me there are floating point errors while
trying to load
> the STL file. After it is loaded and you view the bugger.... It's
just a
> mess. Could be the file has gaps and openings though MillWiz opens
it fine.

> DeskProto Lite does not seem to allow me to alter the direction of
cut but I
> really am still looking at all the options. It's rotation
capability is
> pretty smooth because of its "scroll" options. It loads my test
file fine.

> STLWork, Well, still going to play with that. The waterline paths
look
> useful, but I did have it take a long time to load my test file. I
prefer the
> shaded view options of both DeskProto and Millwz a bit better
because I can
> rotate them. Yet, I am not done reviewing it either so maybe I
still have
> missed something. It does offer more STL related function than
DesKam but
> without the regular 2d Cam.

I've downloaded STLwork but haven't tried it yet. From talking with
Fred at IM Service, it sounds like it has the higher-end features
that MillWizard is missing. I'll have to get back to the group once I
try it out.

> Sometimes I think I have just become more confused and should wait
a little
> longer to see what comes on the market next. Maybe that TurboCAM
post I saw
> coming up ?

I started out this wild hair with the idea that I'd write my own code
to do the conversion. I dove in a bit and realized it just wasn't
worth my time due to the complexity of some of the geometric
algorithms. My plan is to try what's out there and bite the bullet
and buy one.

> So far the MillWiz has given me the fastest toolpaths with the
least amount
> of hassle. I do not know yet about quality of toolpaths and stuff
like that.

> Chris L
>
> jeffswayze wrote:
>
> > This may be an old topic, but I'm trying to track down a few 3D
DXF
> > (or STL) to G-code converters to try out.
> > it. My goal [for this project] is to cut topological relief maps
into
> > plastic or metal.

Discussion Thread

jeffswayze 2002-02-06 11:18:05 UTC 3D DXF to G-Code converter? IMService 2002-02-06 14:33:54 UTC Re: 3D DXF to G-Code converter? cadcamcenter 2002-02-06 16:37:33 UTC Re: 3D DXF to G-Code converter? cadcamcenter 2002-02-06 16:41:23 UTC Re: 3D DXF to G-Code converter? Chris L 2002-02-06 21:23:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 3D DXF to G-Code converter? Andrew Werby 2002-02-06 21:47:29 UTC Re: 3D DXF to G-Code converter? jeffswayze 2002-02-07 06:43:33 UTC Re: 3D DXF to G-Code converter? jeffswayze 2002-02-07 06:46:40 UTC Re: 3D DXF to G-Code converter? Donn Busby 2002-02-07 09:44:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: 3D DXF to G-Code converter? Jon Elson 2002-02-07 11:01:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: 3D DXF to G-Code converter? jeffswayze 2002-02-07 11:40:34 UTC Re: 3D DXF to G-Code converter? Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-02-07 13:44:12 UTC Re: 3D DXF to G-Code converter?