CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] servo motor ID

Keith Rumley wrote:

> > Now, is this the MOTOR rating, or the servo amp rating? If your servo
> amps
> > can deliver 28 A peak, that should be enough to break your ballnut if
> > there is a belt reduction from the motor.
>
> Motor amps are 230v.3ph. 20a. (the matching FX-490 amps) And no, this isn't
> at home. :)
>
> > If direct drive, it is still a LOT of torque. Is this a standard Series-I
> Bridgeport size machine, or something bigger?
>
> It's a retrofitted Moog - the column is Bridgport I, saddle is similar to
> Series II, but slightly smaller. No reduction belt drive X,Y,Z (Through side
> of saddle). The servos are overkill, but I couldn't refuse them at the price
> I paid. The plan is to put them on a bigger machine later.

Well, as long as you have it directly driven, and keep the current limit on
the servo amp to reasonable values, it should be a very well-performing
system.

> The saddle slows things down - lots of mass. Like you mentioned, belt break
> is at the back of my mind, so I keep EMC limited at the top end of 200ipm on
> the Z. (Interesting note - EMC's commanded IPM is usually higher by two or
> three IPM than that read directly from the drive...)

This is probably a servo tuning issue. I had mine tuned up once so the
commanded and actual velocity lines perfectly overlapped. Due to quantization
errors, the actual line was just a little wider than the commanded, but they
were totally in agreement over a complete move. Now, it DID take me
quite a while to get the tuning perfect. If you have FF1 set to 0.0, you
might try turning it up to about 5.0 and see if this improves performance.

Carey L. Culpepper 2002-02-07 11:58:46 UTC servo motor ID Jon Elson 2002-02-07 21:33:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] servo motor ID Keith Rumley 2002-02-08 09:19:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] servo motor ID Dan Mauch 2002-02-08 09:30:44 UTC BP series 1 knee torque Jon Elson 2002-02-08 10:10:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] servo motor ID JanRwl@A... 2002-02-08 13:32:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] BP series 1 knee torque Keith Rumley 2002-02-08 15:15:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] servo motor ID Jon Elson 2002-02-08 22:19:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] servo motor ID