CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: I'm confused, which are better uni or bi polar ?

Posted by mariss92705
on 2002-02-11 22:46:01 UTC
Hi,

There are bipolar and unipolar motors, and there are unipolar and
bipolar drives.

All modern high performance drives are bipolar. They can drive all 4,
6, and 8 wire step motors.

8 wire motors can be run in parallel or series on a bipolar drive. 6
wire motors can be run in half-winding or full-winding on a bipolar
drive.

8 wire motor run in series = 6 wire motor run in full-winding.
8 wire motor run in parallel = 6 wire motor run in half-winding.

A series run motor at 2A with a 48VDC supply has exactly the same
power as the same motor in parallel at 4A and a 24VDC supply.

Mariss

PS: I'm not a bearded old EE-prof with thick glasses. I have thin
glasses :-)

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "dave_ace_me" <davemucha@j...> wrote:
> I read the posts today about running a 5 volt stepper at 48 volts,
ok
> more voltage is a faster start for more torque out of the chute.
>
> then there was talk about re-wiring a uni to make it a bi polar.
>
> this is a bit beyond me. I have a couple NEMA23's some bi polar
some
> uni polar. I pulled them from old printers but am not sure which
is
> better/stronger/faster.
>
> I'm driving a drill press, 3:1 ratio using XL belt, but I also need
> to drive a lead screw, direct drive. Positioning a drill press
> table, so no real loads, speed is more important. is one stepper
> better than another for these applications ?
>
> and while I'm at it, I've read most of the sites explaining
steppers,
> but they mostly go over the basics, not how to power them to higher
> voltages than the nameplate. can anybody offer any links ?
>
> tia
>

> Dave

Discussion Thread

dave_ace_me 2002-02-11 18:45:51 UTC I'm confused, which are better uni or bi polar ? JanRwl@A... 2002-02-11 19:21:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] I'm confused, which are better uni or bi polar ? Jon Elson 2002-02-11 22:38:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] I'm confused, which are better uni or bi polar ? mariss92705 2002-02-11 22:46:01 UTC Re: I'm confused, which are better uni or bi polar ? Tony Jeffree 2002-02-12 02:23:04 UTC Re: I'm confused, which are better uni or bi polar ? JanRwl@A... 2002-02-12 10:29:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] I'm confused, which are better uni or bi polar ? dave_ace_me 2002-02-12 16:56:09 UTC Re: I'm confused, which are better uni or bi polar ? Jon Elson 2002-02-12 22:22:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: I'm confused, which are better uni or bi polar ?