CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: Testing Step Motors

on 1999-11-18 05:03:42 UTC
Good morning;

I recently purchased a Microkinetics Driverack system. Not too happy with
it, but that's another story. I did, however, learn from first hand
experience that microstepping has significant advantages over conventional
halfstepping when using large (Nema 42) motors. With the old L/R drive
amplifiers, such as were found on the BOSS 5 Bridgeport mills, resonance was
annoying but tolerable. But the newer switching amplifiers are so harsh
that these large motors are almost unusable. Microstepping virtually
eliminates the vibration. Having started with halfstepping and later paid
for the upgrade I can vouch for the advantages.

Accuracy is not so much an issue as is repeatability. Halfstepping a 400
cog motor with 1:2 gearing yields .0005 resolution on a knee mill and that's
well within the repeatability of most low end machines. Repeatability
becomes and issue when vibration is so bad the motor skips steps, and that
is usually why they skip if we are assuming they were of adequate size to
begin with.

Doug Harrison

Discussion Thread

Jon Elson 1999-11-17 14:55:41 UTC Re: Testing Step Motors Harrison, Doug 1999-11-18 05:03:42 UTC RE: Testing Step Motors Matt Shaver 1999-11-18 08:09:31 UTC Re: Testing Step Motors Harrison, Doug 1999-11-18 08:34:22 UTC RE: Testing Step Motors Matt Shaver 1999-11-18 09:14:32 UTC Re: Testing Step Motors Harrison, Doug 1999-11-18 13:25:06 UTC RE: Testing Step Motors Harrison, Doug 1999-11-30 10:54:24 UTC RE: Testing Step Motors PTENGIN@x... 1999-11-30 12:20:49 UTC Re: Testing Step Motors