CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Testing Step Motors

Posted by Matt Shaver
on 1999-11-18 09:14:32 UTC
> From: "Harrison, Doug" <dharrison@...>
>
> I am using (for the time being) Microkinetics Millmaster with their
Optistep
> driver board. The software is OK but the jog mode does not have ramping.
> The large motors will not respond to a step function (instant acceleration)
> above crawling speed. Thus, jog spped must be set so low that jogging
takes
> forever.
>
> I recently got a demo of CNCPro, which is supposed to have ramping in jog
> mode. Haven't tried it on the machine yet. The interface seems friendly,
> but the G-godes are wierd. I suppose this won't be too much problem if I
> can get a post for Mastercam to work with it.
>
> Can you explain what changes you made in software that cured your vibration
> problem? We have a second Microkinetics system we want to use on a BOSS-5
> and would rather avoid buying new amps (the upgrade period has expired on
> this one).

I'm using NIST's EMC software, so the change I made probably doesn't
translate into anything meaningful to the software you are using (for what
it's worth I changed the [AXIS]CYCLE_TIME parameter from .001 to .0002). I
will say that having made that change the machine runs really smooth. I can
jog and feed up to 75ipm and with further software improvements I'm hoping to
get that up to 120ipm-150ipm. The EMC has configurable acceleration (ramping)
on all moves and, as you have experienced, this is absolutely required for
systems that have lots of mass to move around such as the table and saddle of
a Bridgeport.

Matt

Discussion Thread

Jon Elson 1999-11-17 14:55:41 UTC Re: Testing Step Motors Harrison, Doug 1999-11-18 05:03:42 UTC RE: Testing Step Motors Matt Shaver 1999-11-18 08:09:31 UTC Re: Testing Step Motors Harrison, Doug 1999-11-18 08:34:22 UTC RE: Testing Step Motors Matt Shaver 1999-11-18 09:14:32 UTC Re: Testing Step Motors Harrison, Doug 1999-11-18 13:25:06 UTC RE: Testing Step Motors Harrison, Doug 1999-11-30 10:54:24 UTC RE: Testing Step Motors PTENGIN@x... 1999-11-30 12:20:49 UTC Re: Testing Step Motors