CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Alum. Extrusion Manufacturers

Posted by aspaguy
on 2002-02-12 22:30:32 UTC
Chris,
My family used to have a company manufacturing camper shells, we used
a part called a stanchion to support luggage rails on top of the
shell. It was shaped like an upsidedown T with a circle on top. It
was made from a long extrusion and cut into about 1-1/4" lengths.
These stanchions are also used on custom vans for ladders and luggage
rails and also for marine applications, to support hand rails on
boats. If longer sections were needed, Im sure that if you could
locate one of the stanchion mfgs they could sell you some of the raw
extrusion before it was cut to length.
Happy Hunting
Dale

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Chris L <datac@l...> wrote:
> When it comes to Linear Motion application, "affordable" linear
motion
> methods specifically (related to CNC of course), I have searched
over
> the past year for just *one* Aluminum Extrusion company who has been
> "innovative" enough to make the Center Hole or Cavity (sometimes
more
> than one cavity) of an extrusion, to allow an *easy* insert of one
of
> the common Linear Bearing sizes.
>
> My goal was this. As many know, typical Round Linear Rail is quite
> affordable. Sellers on E-bay practically give it away if you know
who to
> contact. But to afford Linear bearings premounted "IN" linear
mounting
> blocks raises the costs involved quite a bit. If you've priced
Thomson
> Rail Stands you've likely noticed they are pretty pricey as well.
>
> So, For a short travel distance "starter" machine, I hoped to find
> method where you would use real common Aluminum Extrusion sections
> (short pieces), and press in a Linear Ball or Frelon Lined bearing
into
> it. This would allow one to buy just the "inner" portion of the
bearing
> and not the aluminum mounting blocks. Frelon gets pretty affordable.
>
> The beauty of the concept is that you would ALSO use the very same
> extrusion as the stands for the rail (one each end), by turning some
> simple "liners" that again would press into the Cavity of the
extrusion.
> The rail could be held in place with a setscrew or two. A 1/4"
spacer or
> even machinery feet would go under those end supports to allow
necessary
> clearance for the "Slide" sections. And, It would Look good !
>
> In the case where one prefers the linear rail to be secured all
along
> the length, you could even make your own "open" bearings as I have
seen
> some extrusions that offer some real good wall thickness. This to
me,
> seems like a really good "economy" - "hobby" - "newbie" method to
make
> inexpensive, yet pretty accurate slides.
>

> Well, I have looked at using Fractional Extrusion with Fractional
and
> Metric Bearings as well as the other way around. Nothing lines up
worth
> diddly. I even checked out the dimensions of the extrusions used for
> that new Air Line concept. Nothing lines up very well. Too bad.
>
> I am sure there are those "one off" extrusions out there that would
fill
> this interesting situation, and I am really sure if you had the
bucks
> you could have it made. But then, it probably won't be that really
> affordable solution we all look for.
>
> If you happen to have a chunk of extrusion with a hole bigger than
3/4"
> in it, and a piece of 3/4" linear rail Laying around, Slide that
> extrusion over the top of that rail. Now imagine it had ball slides
> holding it centered........ Now picture some of that extrusion on
each
> end of the rail in the same orientation with the rail firmly
attached in
> the center of it. "Instant" Linear Rails !! Without Thomson
Pricing !
> Joe Blow, could make this work just with a lathe by his side !
>

> Not a bad Idea, I think !!!
>
> To me, I would say every extrusion maker is "missing the
boat" in
> this regard. If you know of one of the common rail companies that
offers
> a possible solution, please let me know. I've been swimming in DXF
> files and Catalogs without luck.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris L

Discussion Thread

Chris L 2002-02-12 20:01:33 UTC Alum. Extrusion Manufacturers jeffswayze 2002-02-12 20:47:47 UTC Re: Alum. Extrusion Manufacturers Chris L 2002-02-12 20:55:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Alum. Extrusion Manufacturers Jon Anderson 2002-02-12 21:17:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Alum. Extrusion Manufacturers aspaguy 2002-02-12 22:30:32 UTC Re: Alum. Extrusion Manufacturers Scot Rogers 2002-02-12 23:16:24 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Alum. Extrusion Manufacturers Smoke 2002-02-13 07:59:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Alum. Extrusion Manufacturers CL 2002-02-13 12:16:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Alum. Extrusion Manufacturers CL 2002-02-13 12:20:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Alum. Extrusion Manufacturers CL 2002-02-13 12:28:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Alum. Extrusion Manufacturers CL 2002-02-13 12:31:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Alum. Extrusion Manufacturers Randy Gordon-Gilmore 2002-02-13 12:59:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Alum. Extrusion Manufacturers Bill Vance 2002-02-13 13:46:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Alum. Extrusion Manufacturers Chris L 2002-02-13 16:04:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Alum. Extrusion Manufacturers Randy Gordon-Gilmore 2002-02-13 17:15:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Alum. Extrusion Manufacturers ballendo 2002-02-14 02:22:18 UTC Re: Alum. Extrusion Manufacturers