CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: extrusions and "potting"

Posted by ballendo
on 2002-02-19 03:17:40 UTC
Chris,

If I'm Mr.B... Yes, I did look at the Paletti site. I didn't look too
closely at the hole dims however...

Several companies make similar linear bearing assemblies, based upon
ground shafting pressed into alum extrusion "receivers". Techno-isel
is one example; as were the later/last digital tool machines.

There are also more than a few which use rollers working WITHIN the
extrusion; acting on the inner walls. Many of these are designed for
high speed movement in manufacturing, and use chains or timing belts
for motive force.

So, what about another approach, taking what you have said below into
account. How about MAKING thin "bearings" (liners) for the EXISTING
extrusion holes? Including possibly the "square" holes: Lloyd L has
made uhmw inserts which fit the ends of a square alum. tube.

Your thoughts?

Ballendo

P.S. Drawer slides can work very well if one takes time to understand
the way they are designed to work and then applies this knowledge
properly...

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Chris L <datac@l...> wrote:
> If I were to think about incorporating Bearings to Existing
Extrusions my
> First attempt would simply be for 3/4" Closed Bearing or the
nearest Metric
> Equivalent without going smaller. Then, if the extrusion has
gapping holes
> around the outside of the bearing hole, I would pour them full of
something
> and attempt to slice open a slot in order to make and Open Bearing
Slide. The
> biggest problem with this as I have noticed is that the current
extrusions
> sizes that would let a 3/4" rail slide thru with a real bearing get
way to
> big in the Overall dimensions for my liking. Options I guess would
be thin
> Frelon Liners instead of Ball Bushings.
>
> Either way, this is supposed to be the cheap option that matches
the use of
> 1/2-13 threaded farmyard rod we used to tie the old Baler together
when it
> was necessary. Thin Liners in extrusions would still beat the heck
out of
> Drawer Slides !
>
> Mr. B... Did you check out the Paletti Site ?? They have
interesting Shapes

> Chris L

Discussion Thread

Marcus & Eva 2002-02-17 10:57:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] extrusions and "potting" Smoke 2002-02-17 12:37:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] extrusions and "potting" cncdxf 2002-02-17 13:05:50 UTC Re: extrusions and "potting" ballendo 2002-02-18 00:34:48 UTC Re: extrusions and "potting" Chris L 2002-02-18 16:28:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: extrusions and "potting" ballendo 2002-02-19 03:17:40 UTC Re: extrusions and "potting" Chris L 2002-02-19 19:45:45 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: extrusions and "potting"