CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: extrusions and "potting"

Posted by ballendo
on 2002-02-18 00:34:48 UTC
Marcus,

We're back to Moglice?

Moglice is DESIGNED to be "cast in place", and is also designed for
linear motion applications(machine ways), which would seem to make it
IDEAL for a "potting" type use with extrusions...

In this case the machine would be entirely set up as Randy suggests,
and then the moglice poured around shafts which have been sprayed
with release compound. Although moglice is expensive, the lack of
need for machine tools and the time saved might balance the equation.

Hope this helps.

Ballendo

P.S. I might work up a design for this. What size would be "good" for
those looking for this type of "easi-build" machine? Reply offlist if
you like.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Marcus & Eva" <implmex@a...> wrote:
> Hi All:
> That was what I had in mind when I got into this thread.
> If I recall correctly, the intent was to be able to cobble
together a
> workable motion control system without access to a machine shop,
hence the
> notion was raised that extrusions would be desirable if only the
hole sizes
> were.... etc, etc.
> Smoke, I understand completely, your point that a superior part can
be
> produced more cheaply by casting and machining, but I am still
considering
> the case where there ain't nuthin' more than a rusty drill press
and a
> hacksaw to work with.
> Within those constraints, do you think that stock bedding compound
in an
> oversize hole in an extrusion, say squirted in through an access
hole while
> the bearings are pre-assembled on a shaft will have the necessary
> mechanical properties to do the job?
> What's this stuff even like to work with. Can it be injected
through a
> syringe?
> Will it stick to aluminum?
> What kind of mold release do you need so it doesn't stick to the
shaft too.
> I'm thinking, as Randy suggests, that a useable system could be put
together
> with almost NO tools if the material is handleable in the way I
suggest, and
> if it has the mechanical properties to do the job.
> You could build some pretty decent stuff using this "potting"
technique with
> weldments and extrusions, and no need for precision machining, but
only if
> the stuff doesn't crumble and fall out over time.
> Cheers
>
> Marcus

Discussion Thread

Marcus & Eva 2002-02-17 10:57:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] extrusions and "potting" Smoke 2002-02-17 12:37:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] extrusions and "potting" cncdxf 2002-02-17 13:05:50 UTC Re: extrusions and "potting" ballendo 2002-02-18 00:34:48 UTC Re: extrusions and "potting" Chris L 2002-02-18 16:28:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: extrusions and "potting" ballendo 2002-02-19 03:17:40 UTC Re: extrusions and "potting" Chris L 2002-02-19 19:45:45 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: extrusions and "potting"