CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: New to group and cnc

Posted by Guy Sirois
on 2002-02-22 17:15:49 UTC
Hi Jay,

regarding your question about the freewheeling of the motors when
un-powered, they are in fact easily rotatable. The steppers have a "coggy"
feel, (some more than others) but it could be a problem. If you have a dot
matrix printer, that will give you an idea. When you rotate the paper feed
knob, you can feel the cogs. Likewise, slide the print head from side to
side. On a (milling?) machine, these cogs would interfere with you trying to
precisely position the wheel.

If you plan to have a manual/CNC machine, you could couple the motors to the
screws through a coupling that you can slacken.

If you have servo motors, those don't have the cogging effect.

Regards,
Guy Sirois

-----Original Message-----
From: jbolt001 [mailto:js3mc@...]
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2002 1:03 PM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: New to group and cnc

Ballendo,

Thanks for the reply. I know what you mean about re-inventing the
wheel. Smithy does sell a pakage from Flashcut and they provide the
mounting hardware. I understand the pros and cons of a ready made
system vs a DYI but cost is an issue and I know I can do it with the
right information. I have inquired to both Smithy and Flashcut about
thier system as you suggested.

This may be a silly question but here goes anyway. When the cnc is
not in use (powered up) do the motors freewheel allowing manual use?

Just out of high school I spent a few years working in an R&D shop so
I have some background in machining but cnc work seems like the
thinking will be different i.e. how the tool moves etc.. Is there a
good publication that covers this?

Thanks,

Jay

Addresses: