CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: New to group and cnc

Posted by ballendo
on 2002-02-22 07:45:27 UTC
Jay,

Welcome to the group.

One thing I use to help me do something I've never done before is to
look for "parallel" solutions.

I don't know if Smithy sells complete CNC mill/lathes; but if they
do; ask some questions. What size motors? Steppers or servos? Why?
What control program do you supply? Why? Etc. USUALLY(but not always)
the mfr. will have made good choices, and you can learn from what
they have chosen. You may even decide to buy what they have. or buy
what they have direct from "its" mfr.

Now shoptask DOES sell cnc complete systems, so you can bet if I were
in your shoes, I'd be asking/ reading what they use!

Next look to other machines bearing similarity in size and/or
function to yours. This would include mill drills and lathes the size
of your Smithy. They've already solved the problem. Ask if it works;
if it does, copy it! (don't think you HAVE TO "improve" it-lotta
failed projects when ego gets too involved, IMO)

Your Q1; The pre-drilled pattern on your machine will put you in the
ballpark (it's probably size 34 steppers). most double-stack 34's
will be about 500 0z. in. and probly will work.

Q2) Servos are faster. (there are a myriad of other differences, but
this is bottom line.

Q3) Our "standard" answer to this will be: Gecko or Camtronics drives
(Geckos are amazing out of the box, and small. Camtronics costs a
little less, and you learn by assembling it as a kit), any of a
number of pc-based controller s/w, depending on your needs. (they
each have good and bad points.) Most power supplies are home
made "linear" unregulated types. Marlin P. Jones in FL has good
prices on the sizes/types needed. I prefer toroids, which can be had
new for about 60-100 bucks from TCM (Toroid Corp. of Maryland) and
other suppliers.

Q3/4) Keep reading. You're in the right place <G>

Hope this helps.

Ballendo

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "jbolt001" <js3mc@a...> wrote:
<snip>
> 1. How do I determine what size motors I'll need?
> 2. I've read about "stepper" and "servo" motors. I'm assuming the
> steppers will be enough for me but I'm not real clear on the
> difference.
> 3. Once the motors are selected what exactly do I need for the rest
> of the hardware. i.e. controller, powers supply etc. Essentially
how do I figure out what I need?
> 4. Once I have all the pieces and parts how do I get it all working
> together?
>
> I know there are some turnkey systems out there but I'm on a budget
> and I have more time than money and I'm hoping I can put this
> together for less than a packaged system. I'll learn some new
things
> in the process as well.
>
> What I DO have is a spare PC and I'm pretty good with AutoCad.
>
> Thanks for listening and I look forward to learning from some of
you.

> Jay

Discussion Thread

jbolt001 2002-02-21 22:03:37 UTC New to group and cnc ballendo 2002-02-22 07:45:27 UTC Re: New to group and cnc jbolt001 2002-02-22 13:03:01 UTC Re: New to group and cnc Carol & Jerry Jankura 2002-02-22 14:58:23 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: New to group and cnc Guy Sirois 2002-02-22 17:15:49 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: New to group and cnc ballendo 2002-02-23 07:42:33 UTC How the tool moves Where will I go? What will I do? was Re: New to group Matt Shaver 2002-02-23 08:39:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How the tool moves Where will I go? What will I do? was Re: New to group ballendo 2002-02-23 09:32:43 UTC How the tool moves Where will I go? What will I do? was Re: New to group