CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepster pulse rate control

on 2002-02-23 14:28:30 UTC
Hi Elliot,

I haven't looked at the source, but I suspect that a "timing loop" is
used, where the time the loop takes to complete determines the step
rate. Oftentimes a "for/next" loop is used with a loop number to delay
as necessary to make the timing loop come out to the needed speed.
MaxNC probably works this way. The timing is accurate once
"calibrated", but then, all PC's are not created equal (in speed)!

Other programs (like TurboCNC) and code I'm working on use the PC's 8054
timer to generate a precise time period. Art's Master5 uses a special
timer in the Pentium processors for precise timing.

HTH

Alan KM6VV

Elliot Burke wrote:

> Has anyone looked at the listing for Stepster?
>
> I looked it over, and don't understand how the pulse rate is controlled.
>
> It looks like it just loops around. Maybe in DOS this can give accurate
> enough timing, its been a while since I did any DOS programming.
>
> Elliot

Discussion Thread

Elliot Burke 2002-02-23 13:51:47 UTC Stepster pulse rate control Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-02-23 14:28:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepster pulse rate control ballendo 2002-02-23 16:08:55 UTC Re: Stepster pulse rate control