CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Tool Changer -EMCO

on 2002-02-26 17:46:16 UTC
Hi All.

These things are unlikely to be anything to do with steppers in the tool
turret. It is powered by a DC electric motor, driving a worm gear with a
detent - ratchet actually in the back of the tool holder turret plate. I
believe that it operates by running forward, stopping, and then backing up
a tad until the ratchet pawl engages and stalls it. This could be done
simply with analogue timers. I don'tknow whether there is a "feedback"
connection to indicate to the board whether it has passed a set position or
not.

I have not yet checked how it works electrically - no time. I personally
have reservations about the mechanics - all the cutting forces are taken on
the ratchet pawl which seems poor practise - even though it is a small
machine and the cutting forces should not be that great.

Jim Gregg.

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 09:56:54 -0700
From: "Smoke" <smoke@...>
Subject: Re: Auto Tool Changers - EMCO
80's technology?
Bill, I was wondering after reading your post if those timers were actually
stepper switches. Then I thought, 'they must be timers, Bill should know
what he's got'.
However, thinking about the stepper switches brought back to mind when I
worked with pallet loaders and conveyor technology in the 60's. Perhaps
something similar (using modern electronics) can be used for the auto tool
change circuitry.
Smoke
> > Bill has a turret, I don't know if he has the electronics.
> >

> I have the Electronics, but there is no way of knowing what it wants as
> inputs, looks like timers as there are pots, and a very high parts count,
> 1980's technology.
> bill

Discussion Thread

Alison & Jim Gregg 2002-02-26 17:46:16 UTC Tool Changer -EMCO wanliker@a... 2002-02-26 19:38:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Tool Changer -EMCO