CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Homemade mill (was Very small miller/engraver)

Posted by dave_ace_me
on 2002-03-02 12:31:46 UTC
Hi Guy,

sound like you have this well thought out.

I hope you post your pictures when all is said and done.

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Guy Sirois" <guys@w...> wrote:

> Thanks Dave for your subdued compliments ;-)
>
> See comments below ***

Rigidity will then
> [...]
>
> /||
> / || table
> / || here
> ==============
>
> Dave
>
> *** I want to be able to machine steel with this machine, so
that's why I'm
> aiming for high rigidity and mass.
> Your comments are appreciated,
>
> Guy
>

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Guy Sirois" <guys@w...> wrote:
> >
> > Hey Ballendo,
> >
> > that's almost exactly what I am doing right now !
> > After having searched unsuccessfully for an affordable small mill
> for the
> > last few years, I decided to make one from two small 5-1/2" x 12"
> milling
> > tables. I bought them from BusyBee in Canada but are the same as
> Enco's
> > 201-2826. I will mount them as you describe, with one exception,
> the
> > vertical one will be retained by its center, so it will be
> rotatable (5th
> > axis). As the mounting base is round, well it will be anyway,
after
> I put it
> > in the lathe, its edge can be graduated in degrees.
> >
> > As a spindle, I am using an ER-20 collet extension, which is a
> precision
> > shaft of 1" dia by 6" long with a collet chuck at the end. It will
> be
> > installed in a steel block of 4 x 4 x 6" bolted to the vertical
> table. I
> > will use adjustable taper roller bearings. I have two 90V.DC
> variable speed
> > motors I will (somehow) attach to the spindle.
> >
> > The base of the machine is not totally defined yet. As I want
> something very
> > rigid and massive, I have to be sure the back support member can
> not flex at
> > all relative to the bottom plate. I was thinking of using large
> structural
> > steel rectangular tubing of 8" x 10" x 1/2" wall. One length is
> laid on its
> > side and serves as the base, then another length is put vertically
> on it to
> > act as the back support member. That should theoretically be very
> rigid, and
> > can even be filled with cement if necessary. I would obviously
have
> to have
> > the end of the vertical piece precisely squared at a machine shop.
> >
> > The bottom piece could also be made from a H-beam. The rear piece,
> however,
> > could not, as I will have a large bolt going through it ( the
pivot
> for the
> > 5th axis) and the web of the H-beam is in the way.
> >
> > The frame could also be made from two thick steel plates, but then
> I might
> > have to brace them together to reduce flex.

Discussion Thread

Graham Stabler 2002-03-01 10:01:03 UTC Very small miller/engraver Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-03-01 13:09:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Very small miller/engraver dave_ace_me 2002-03-01 13:44:57 UTC Re: Very small miller/engraver ballendo 2002-03-02 04:41:37 UTC Re: Very small miller/engraver Sven Peter 2002-03-02 04:58:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Very small miller/engraver John H. 2002-03-02 05:18:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Very small miller/engraver Guy Sirois 2002-03-02 06:47:50 UTC RE: Homemade mill (was Very small miller/engraver) dave_ace_me 2002-03-02 07:47:52 UTC Re: Homemade mill (was Very small miller/engraver) Guy Sirois 2002-03-02 08:15:51 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Homemade mill (was Very small miller/engraver) Gail & Bryan Harries 2002-03-02 08:21:03 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Very small miller/engraver dave_ace_me 2002-03-02 12:31:46 UTC Re: Homemade mill (was Very small miller/engraver) Tom Benedict 2002-03-02 13:43:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Very small miller/engraver