CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Very small miller/engraver

Posted by Tom Benedict
on 2002-03-02 13:43:03 UTC
Only problem with using optical stages for machining is that they don't
take side loads well. They're basically four centerless-ground shafts,
two on the base, two on the slides, with precision ball bearings rolling
in between. Put enough of a side load on one to damage a ball or a shaft,
and it's ruined.

But! Since you're talking about using sub-mm tooling, the loads might not
be that high. I'd definitely want to test before risking one of those
stages.

Tom