CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: RTLinux

Posted by Ray Henry
on 1999-12-05 08:18:51 UTC
From: "Ian Wright" <Ian@...>
>Subject: Re: RTLinux

<snip>

>A recent version of GIMP. The version I had in was screwing up the colours
>on the screen - making everything go black and vivid green so I couldn't
>read the menus and so I thought a reinstall was in order. Like a fool though

I used GIMP a couple weeks back for some web visuals. Worked great, I love
it. But idling overnight it seems the left over gimp swap files got
twisted up with something else and my Linux went down for real. I had to
use the rescue disk and go through some of the hard drive trash to find the
broken spot. Took about a half hour.

Thought I should post this out of fairness to the poeple who favor the M
word. Instead of the BSOD (blue screen of death) maybe we could call it
the FSOS (full screen of squiggles.

>I didn't use the rpm but tried a tgz version and it installed but then
>started shouting for libc.so.6 which I didn't have in. I couldn't quite work
>out why it affected all three kernels I had on the machine, but the net
>effect was that I couldn't boot into linux at all and so I gave up and
>started again.

My problem was not with any of the kernels that I have. ("I can do that,
I'm the kernel." Proposed Red Hat rip off of the Kentucky Fried Chicken
commercial.) My problem was with the file system that it had to work with.
When I fixed that the whole system came back to life.

Ray

Discussion Thread

Ian Wright 1999-12-04 02:43:28 UTC RTLinux Matt Shaver 1999-12-04 08:24:48 UTC Re: RTLinux Ian Wright 1999-12-04 11:06:10 UTC Re: RTLinux Ray Henry 1999-12-05 08:18:51 UTC Re: RTLinux