CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: RTLinux

Posted by Matt Shaver
on 1999-12-04 08:24:48 UTC
> From: "Ian Wright" <Ian@...>
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm having linux problems and could do with a bit of advice.
>
> My linux box died a couple of days ago due to me trying to install a
> programme which required a library file that wasn't installed (libc.so.6).
> It prevented me starting up linux in any form - I was on RedHat 5.2 . So I
> decided that perhaps it was time to upgrade and try the newer version and
> installed RedHat 6.1 with the 2.2.12 kernel. This went like a dream, they
> have certainly improved the installation script. Then I decided I should
> upgrade the kernel to the new 2.2.13 version with RTlinux and so downloaded
> the ready patched kernel from FSMlabs. All appeared to be going well until
> got to the 'make bzImage' bit when it stalled at processing the first line
> of code. Thinking it may have been a bad download, I then downloaded a
clean
> copy of the kernel only and the separate RTlinux 2.0 patch and tried again.
> I got exactly the same result - 'make xconfig', 'make dep', and 'make
clean'
> went without a hitch but, when I got to 'make bzImage' it again stalled at
> the first line of code.
> Has anyone else had such an experience or is it something I am doing
wrong??

Several things:

1. If you're going to run the EMC with this system, it's probably better to
use 5.2 for now. I think there are still some problems with the 2.2 Kernel,
RT and the EMC, but I forget what they are. I'll ask Fred about this next
time I talk to him (probably Monday). I'm eager to move on to RH6.1 myself
when it's feasible.

2. Regardless of #1 above, do you really need a big zImage? If "make zImage"
says something like "kernel too big", then you need to spend some time
pondering the kernel options during "make xconfig". If you haven't already,
read the Kernel-HOWTO and anything related in /usr/doc. If you haven't got a
sound card, then eliminate sound card support. Do the same for SCSI devices
if you don't have any. Only compile in the support for the network card you
have, and if possible make it a module rather the part of the kernel. What
you want is the smallest possible kernel that will operate all your hardware.
A small kernel will boot fast as well.

3. What did you install that killed your system?

Matt

Discussion Thread

Ian Wright 1999-12-04 02:43:28 UTC RTLinux Matt Shaver 1999-12-04 08:24:48 UTC Re: RTLinux Ian Wright 1999-12-04 11:06:10 UTC Re: RTLinux Ray Henry 1999-12-05 08:18:51 UTC Re: RTLinux