CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: RTLinux

Posted by Ian Wright
on 1999-12-04 11:06:10 UTC
Hi,

Further to my previous plea for help. I've tried compiling kernel 2.2.13
again and this is the error message I am still getting when I do 'make
bzImage'.

gcc -Wall-Wstrict-prototypes -02 -fomit-frame pointer -o
scripts/split-include scripts/split-include.c
In file included from /usr/include/errno.h:36
from scripts/split-include.c:26:
/usr/include/bits/errno.h:25 linux/errno.h:no such file or directory

make; ***[scripts/split-include] Error 1

I have looked around but I don't seem to hace a 'scripts' directory - should
I have? The installation I have running at the moment is the Workstation
install from the RedHat 6.1 CD.

----- Original Message -----
From: Matt Shaver <mshaver@...>
> Several things:
>
> 1. If you're going to run the EMC with this system, it's probably better
> use 5.2 for now. I think there are still some problems with the 2.2
Kernel,
> RT and the EMC, but I forget what they are. I'll ask Fred about this next
> time I talk to him (probably Monday). I'm eager to move on to RH6.1 myself
> when it's feasible.

I decided to risk loading 6.1 because a message from Fred a couple of weeks
ago suggested that the RT patch for the 2.2.13 kernel is now relatively
stable and he was releasing a version of EMC based on that ( I'm not sure
whether he has done so yet.)

> 2. Regardless of #1 above, do you really need a big zImage? If "make
zImage"
> says something like "kernel too big",

Probably not although the last re-compile I did on 5.2 complained and so I
had to do a bzImage on that. In this case though, I'm not getting anywhere
near that stage.

> 3. What did you install that killed your system?

A recent version of GIMP. The version I had in was screwing up the colours
on the screen - making everything go black and vivid green so I couldn't
read the menus and so I thought a reinstall was in order. Like a fool though
I didn't use the rpm but tried a tgz version and it installed but then
started shouting for libc.so.6 which I didn't have in. I couldn't quite work
out why it affected all three kernels I had on the machine, but the net
effect was that I couldn't boot into linux at all and so I gave up and
started again.
I'd like to stay with 6.1 now if I can as it seems to have some better
features - even if it does mean waiting a while for EMC to catch me up, I
still have a little way to go with construction of my miller and it's
getting cold in the workshop now!!

Thanks

Ian

--
Ian W. Wright
Sheffield UK

Discussion Thread

Ian Wright 1999-12-04 02:43:28 UTC RTLinux Matt Shaver 1999-12-04 08:24:48 UTC Re: RTLinux Ian Wright 1999-12-04 11:06:10 UTC Re: RTLinux Ray Henry 1999-12-05 08:18:51 UTC Re: RTLinux