CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC Lineage

Posted by Paul
on 2002-03-12 14:45:17 UTC
Hi Keith

If you are going the RH7.x route, I would forget rtlinux and install rtai.
The kernel patches for rtai are much more up to date than FSMLabs, and if a
bug is found, you can very easily get hold of the CVS rtai sources.

A fair bit of work has been done lately with EMC to get it to run with rtai,
and it will now compile and run with very little effort. Although the details
of the process need to be added to the handbook at some stage.

The BDI will work on a Thinkpad - I know of at least one guy who has it up
and running.

Regards, Paul.

On Tuesday 12 Mar 2002 2:07 pm, keithsloanuk wrote:
> I want to have a look at Linux and EMC for CNC
>
> Because I want to try this on an old IBM Thinkpad 760ED I am going to
> install Red Hat 7.2 and add the Real time kernel. I see there are are
> two lineages of EMC 2.1.16 and 1.1-17.

> From the fact that things flip flop from 2.x.x release to 1.x.x I
> assume this is the normal Linux thing of one experimental code base
> and one more solid code base that work alternates between them. My
> question is which is the best code base to go for 2.x.x. or a 1.x.x .
> Same question goes for RTL
>
> Before all the "helpful" suggestions I have heard of BDI but I don't
> think it applies in my case.

Discussion Thread

keithsloanuk 2002-03-12 13:59:44 UTC EMC Lineage Paul 2002-03-12 14:45:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC Lineage Brian Pitt 2002-03-12 19:42:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC Lineage Jon Elson 2002-03-12 22:55:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC Lineage