CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Retrofit Backlash

Posted by ja_erickson
on 2002-03-12 18:34:22 UTC
evening cnc dudes,

on some milling machines there are devices called gibs that are
utilized to compensate for wear and manufacturing tolerances.
the gibs are usually located under the table. some machine builders
set these at the factory then "run in the machine" as a kind of
lapping or breaking in of the ways and tables. try and see if your
machine has gibs and adjust them by putting an indicator on the knee
on the left hand side of the machine.crank or jog the x-axis to the
center and locate the indicator on the extreme left side of the x-
axis table,set the indicator to zero. physically grab the x-axis
table and push it towards the column. notice if there is any
indicator movement.pull the table away from the column and see if
there is any indicator movement.by doing this it will tell you if
your gibs need adjusting. according to my bridgeport manual there
should be about .0002" on a new machine, but in reality that seems a
bit tight.
i hope this may help you.