CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Basic stepper control question

Posted by kaynrc
on 2002-03-13 07:33:22 UTC
Hi Kevin

I've read through this thread, and I noticed that you use Dan Mauch's
5 amp boards. I am cnc'ing a mill, and have 3 of his 5 amp boards
done, have 3 of his motors, and I'm almost ready to do a computer
control test of motor motion. The last thing for me will be to hook
up the hardware to a mill. I want to learn the full system first,
including how to use 3d cad.

But, I was curious how you like the Camtronics kit, and how reliable
and durable it is. Also, I am curious if (and how) you use the half-
stepping, and if this a good feature. I plan to use Art Fenerty's
Master5 software to run the whole show.

I have not yet hooked up my db25 junction board to the computer, or
to my 3 driver boards yet, but it seems mostly straight forward. I'm
not too sure about the I/O devices jack on the little junction board,
but I'll learn about it as required.

Sorry if this seems a bit meandering, but I just haven't fully
connected the system yet, so I was curious about various parts of
Dan's system. Any feedback is very much appreciated, especially if
you've come across problems that are not obvious to the average cnc
hobbiest.

Thank you, Tom Kay.

-- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Kevin P. Martin" <kpmartin@t...> wrote:
> I would guess that the 50 clicks on a 200-step motor is due to
residual
> magnetism of the field core. The iron has some hysteresis (which
can be a
> significant source of heat at high step rates), so it is unlikely
to have
> *absolutely no* field when all current it off.
> In particular, I would expect it to retain a small amount of the
last
> current-generated field, so you may find that these 50 clicks move
each time you
> run the motor.
>
> There is also the question of what you mean by "kill all the
current" to the
> motors. As an example, when I shut down my Camtronics 5Amp drivers
on my
> sherline mill, first I flip a switch which disables all the motor
drivers (at
> this point the handwheels can be turned freely). Then I turn off
the main power
> switch; invariably I hear the steppers jump a tiny bit. I suspect
that the +5V
> supply is shutting off faster than the +35V motor current supply,
and as a
> result the motors get just a little jolt of current.
>
> So I guess one question is: is the motor current being shut off
just by
> disabling the driver with some sort of control input, or is the
whole power
> supply for the stepper driver being shut down?
> -Kevin

Discussion Thread

Tom Kulaga 2001-06-30 11:33:30 UTC Basic stepper control question Lee Studley 2001-06-30 12:44:40 UTC Re: Basic stepper control question ballendo@y... 2001-06-30 12:57:44 UTC Re: Basic stepper control question Chris L 2001-06-30 13:17:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Basic stepper control question JanRwl@A... 2001-06-30 13:35:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Basic stepper control question Tom Kulaga 2001-06-30 18:53:29 UTC Re: Basic stepper control question Tom Kulaga 2001-06-30 19:01:47 UTC Re: Basic stepper control question Chris Stratton 2001-06-30 19:16:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Basic stepper control question Tom Kulaga 2001-07-01 16:26:26 UTC Re: Basic stepper control question Kevin P. Martin 2001-07-03 07:27:26 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Basic stepper control question kaynrc 2002-03-13 07:33:22 UTC Re: Basic stepper control question Tim Goldstein 2002-03-13 21:00:22 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Basic stepper control question