CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] I'm thinking of buying a small lathe

Posted by Mark Taft
on 2002-03-13 10:43:30 UTC
If you speak to compucut they show how to make a lathe and milling machine
from Tywaneese stock parts that can machine Inconol jet engine blades.

The total cost of the machines is about £300 most the main parts being
available from screw fix.

the CNC stuff is about £200 for the controller + steeper Motors extra.

Hope this is of help

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Scot Rogers [mailto:scotr@...]
Sent: 13 March 2002 06:47
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] I'm thinking of buying a small lathe

Hey Lloyd,

The type of cnc conversion that is going to be capable of turning the Ti
might be a pretty expensive one. Ti is a high machining pressure metal.
I'd look into trying it manually first. The aluminum is pretty easy in
comparison. But ti can be rough if you don't do it right.

If you want the bucket of sand nearby for fires, you may not need it as long
as you make sure to keep your work and tooling cool.

But I've just opened the door for an off topic thread. So I'll drop it.

Read, read, and then read some more. There's a bunch to this cnc mess. But
you've found the right place to bounce ideas off folks that know about it.

~FAQ: http://www.ktmarketing.com/faq.html

Try this link first and cruize the site. There's a bunch there.

Scot

~I'm thinking of buying a small lathe...
~
~Main objective
~- make it CNC
~
~Secondary Objective
~- make it able to cut titanium (with a bucket of sand really close by)
~- Able to make bore out holes
~
~Tertiary objective:
~- make chess pieces (titanium and aluminium)
~- Possibly rings
~
~Power:
~- Preferable 110v, 60 Hz
~- 220v possible, but needs rewiring to my garage or basement.
~
~What should I be looking for?
~What makes and models are good?
~Horsepower should be in what range?
~RPM should be in what range?
~
~I'm thinking of getting a combo mill/lathe setup. I'm not sure if I
~will be disappointed with the size and power later on though. What have
~been people's experiences with these combo systems??
~
~http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44142
~
~http://216.154.132.143/cgi-bin/picture?&NETID=1530060312020061541&NTITEM
~=B2229
~
~(I think they are the exact same machines, but difference colours).
~(The second link is now sold in green, not white)
~(The second link is in Canadian as well... so it's peanuts for everyone
~else)
~
~Anyone have any regrets about these machines, before I plop down a wad
~of multi-coloured money? (Canadian money is different colours for each
~denomination, not just green, for those that didn't know)
~
~--
~Lloyd Leung
~Lloyd@...