CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: I'm thinking of buying a small lathe

Posted by dave_ace_me
on 2002-03-12 16:58:06 UTC
Hi Lloyd,

First thing I would recomend is that you guesstimate the largest
piece you might expect to turn. Once you know your expected part
size, I would double that and start looking for lathes that will hold
the larger part.

Lathes are typically numbered like 7x10 or 9x20 for small lathes.
the first number is the largest diameter the thing will spin. (you
have to figure out how to hold it when it is that big)
There is a small deception there in that the carrage will not allow
you to hold a maximum diameter part and also turn the outside as the
carrage gets in the way. so there is another number you must find in
the literature.

the second number is the length between 'centers' That usually means
the largest part you can acutally cut, but that you can hold. there
may be some part you cannot cut because you are holding that part.

If you plan on CNC'ing it, you do not need a power cross feed. This
can be done with a stepper or servo simply enough. If you do not
always plan on using the CNC, and if you have the money, get a power
cross feed.

Check Grizzly and HF magazines and e-bay too.
these groups are well worht the time.

7x10 mini lathe site, very lightly moderated, lot of chat.

south bend lathe group, 99.99% are South Bend owners.

a gereric 9x20 group is
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/9x20Lathe/messagesearch?query=

and don't forget to visit TurboCNC and Dave K's site too. he did a
full CNC of his 7x10 mini lathe and posted lots of picutres. Even
started a TurboCNC group.

Regarding Titanium, I guess I am lucky here as I cut a lot of Ti for
aircraft work, always light cuts for finishing to size, just a few
thou at a time. Ignorance is bliss and the angel on my shoulder has
kept me out of trouble more than once.

If you are concerned about heat, I know most shops use flood
cooling. Should be easy to do. I have no clue if you can flood cool
Ti though, I always cut it dry.

Dave

ps: my yahoo links are set to post the most recent message at the top
of the page, not the bottom.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Lloyd Leung" <lloyd@l...> wrote:
> I'm thinking of buying a small lathe...
>
> Main objective
> - make it CNC
>
> Secondary Objective
> - make it able to cut titanium (with a bucket of sand really close
by)
> - Able to make bore out holes
>
> Tertiary objective:
> - make chess pieces (titanium and aluminium)
> - Possibly rings
>
> Power:
> - Preferable 110v, 60 Hz
> - 220v possible, but needs rewiring to my garage or basement.
>
> What should I be looking for?
> What makes and models are good?
> Horsepower should be in what range?
> RPM should be in what range?
>
> I'm thinking of getting a combo mill/lathe setup. I'm not sure if I
> will be disappointed with the size and power later on though. What
have
> been people's experiences with these combo systems??
>
> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?
itemnumber=44142

> http://216.154.132.143/cgi-bin/picture?
&NETID=1530060312020061541&NTITEM
> =B2229
>
> (I think they are the exact same machines, but difference colours).
> (The second link is now sold in green, not white)
> (The second link is in Canadian as well... so it's peanuts for
everyone
> else)
>
> Anyone have any regrets about these machines, before I plop down a
wad
> of multi-coloured money? (Canadian money is different colours for
each
> denomination, not just green, for those that didn't know)
>
> --
> Lloyd Leung
> Lloyd@L...

Discussion Thread

Lloyd Leung 2002-03-12 13:08:54 UTC I'm thinking of buying a small lathe Smoke 2002-03-12 15:47:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] I'm thinking of buying a small lathe lasernerd2 2002-03-12 16:01:42 UTC Re: I'm thinking of buying a small lathe dave_ace_me 2002-03-12 16:58:06 UTC Re: I'm thinking of buying a small lathe Scot Rogers 2002-03-12 22:54:23 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] I'm thinking of buying a small lathe Mark Taft 2002-03-13 10:43:30 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] I'm thinking of buying a small lathe