CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: If I have a Gecko G201 what's my shopping list?

Posted by snuckleton
on 2002-03-14 20:03:46 UTC
Tim,
I'm new at this so I may be misunderstanding something, but are
you saying you would use a 60 vdc power supply for these
motors marked 4v? I have been using unipolar steppers marked 12v 1A
and
I am running them with 10 ohm ballast resistors with a 12 v supply.
Is the high voltage only used while stepping, then a lower voltage
used for holding?

Thanks,
Art

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Tim Goldstein" <timg@k...> wrote:

> >What exactly is needed, if I already have:
> >-stepper motors
> > -Two DC 4v, 1.1A (6 wire) (2 phase)
>
> > -Three DC 4.5, 1.4A (6 wire) (unknown phase, probably 2 phase)
>
> These are higher voltage and therefore inductance that is ideal.
They will
> work, but your rapid rates may be a little dissapointing. You will
want to
> use as high a voltage power supply as you can and wire them as half
coil.

> >-G201 drivers already...
> >
> >My shopping list is so far...
> >- Power supply (between +24 to 80 VDC) (do I need a separate power
>
> >supply for each drive/motor combo)?
>
> For the power supply in your case go for the high end of the range
as per
> above. 60 - 62 volts is sensable as it is relatively easy to find a
48 VAC
> transformer or series 2 - 24 VAC units. They will give you about 60
VDC when
> rectified and filtered. You can use a single supply for all the
drives and
> with the above motors a 5 amp 60 VDC setup would cover you.
>

> >- 470 uF capacitor (if more than a foot away from the power source)
> > - question about this, do I need a separate capacitor for each
> >drive?
>

> Your amperage is pretty low so you could likely get by without
these even if
> you wires are a little on the long side. On the other hand they
will not
> hurt anything and are good insurance. You use one per drive and
connect it
> as close to the terminal block as you can. The other time that you
really
> need them is if you are running the drives hear the top of the
amperage
> range even if your power supply is real close. A way to know if you
do need
> them is feel the large capacitor in the drive. If it is getting hot
then you
> should add the 470 uf caps.
>
> >- Wire to connect them all (12, 18, 22 gauges)
> >- Something to hold them all the setup in place (sheet metal,
plastic,
> >whatever works)
>
> 12 G would be overkill (and not fit in the terminals) and 22 G
would be on
> the light side. I tend to use 18 G for moderate current draw (like
you have)
> and 16 G (about the max for the terminals to fit comfortably) if I
am maxing
> the drives out.
>

> >Anyone have a nice three or 4 axis wiring diagram that could share?
>

> go to http://www.ktmarketing.com/CNC.html and pick the link titles:
> "Gecko G320 wiring how to diagram by Donald Brock" it is towards
the bottom
> of the top section. While it is for the G3X0 series the wiring from
power
> supply and computer to the drives is identical. I also think that
Doug
> Fortune has a diagram on his site.
>
> Tim
> [Denver, CO]

Discussion Thread

Lloyd Leung 2002-03-14 06:57:17 UTC If I have a Gecko G201 what's my shopping list? Tim Goldstein 2002-03-14 07:50:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] If I have a Gecko G201 what's my shopping list? snuckleton 2002-03-14 20:03:46 UTC Re: If I have a Gecko G201 what's my shopping list? Tim Goldstein 2002-03-14 23:18:48 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] If I have a Gecko G201 what's my shopping list? snuckleton 2002-03-15 05:17:30 UTC Re: If I have a Gecko G201 what's my shopping list? n4onl 2002-03-15 17:24:34 UTC Re: If I have a Gecko G201 what's my shopping list?