CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: If I have a Gecko G201 what's my shopping list?

Posted by snuckleton
on 2002-03-15 05:17:30 UTC
Tim,
Thanks, looks like I should look into the chopper controllers...
Art

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Tim Goldstein" <timg@k...> wrote:
> The voltage I was suggesting is specifically for current limiting
drives
> like the Gecko G2XX series. They actually monitor the current and
> rapidly switch the drive on and off to maintain the current that is
> selected in the drive. This type of drive is commonly called a
chopper
> drive. With a non-current controlled drive if you want to increase
the
> max speed you have to use large resistors to limit the current in
> combination with a voltage increase.
>
> While I am not familiar with your setup my experience has been that
if
> you are driving a stepper at the plate voltage you can do without
the
> resistors as in your case the motor will only draw 1 A at 12 V.
>
> Tim
> [Denver, CO]
>

> > Tim,
> > I'm new at this so I may be misunderstanding something, but
> > are you saying you would use a 60 vdc power supply for these
> > motors marked 4v? I have been using unipolar steppers marked 12v
1A
> > and
> > I am running them with 10 ohm ballast resistors with a 12 v
> > supply. Is the high voltage only used while stepping, then a
> > lower voltage used for holding?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Art

Discussion Thread

Lloyd Leung 2002-03-14 06:57:17 UTC If I have a Gecko G201 what's my shopping list? Tim Goldstein 2002-03-14 07:50:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] If I have a Gecko G201 what's my shopping list? snuckleton 2002-03-14 20:03:46 UTC Re: If I have a Gecko G201 what's my shopping list? Tim Goldstein 2002-03-14 23:18:48 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] If I have a Gecko G201 what's my shopping list? snuckleton 2002-03-15 05:17:30 UTC Re: If I have a Gecko G201 what's my shopping list? n4onl 2002-03-15 17:24:34 UTC Re: If I have a Gecko G201 what's my shopping list?