CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] material for slide bushings

Posted by Tom Benedict
on 2002-03-17 10:55:41 UTC
On Sun, 17 Mar 2002, halaloszto wrote:

> i am reading the list for a while, and would like to hear your choice:
>
> (i am absolutely amateur in machining, education in electronics and
> informatics)
>
> i am planning to build a small mill. cannot afford too much for the
> project, so commercial linear guides are out of reach.
>
> the question is: what would You use for the bushings on a 1/2in steel
> rod/maybe aluminum.
>
> 1. UHMW-PE
> 2. teflon filled PA (Poliamid)
> 3. i was told that there is some special PA, that is filled with some
> solid lubricant and/or oil, used mostly for the sleeve in sliding
> bearings.
>
> thanks for replies.

Given the choice, I'd go for 1/2" steel rather than 1/2" aluminum. With
the same amount of use, you'd see less wear on the steel than the
aluminum. Also, 1/2" drill rod is pretty cheap. It's tough to get the
same tolerance on an aluminum round.

My first choice for bushings would be brass or bronze. Steel and brass
don't gall, nor does aluminum and brass. Both work well with oil as a
lubricant.

Another thing in favor of using brass or bronze: They're a lot cheaper
than the polyimide or Teflon products. They're also a lot more common, so
it's easier to get them (and to get replacements in case your first
attempt at fitting the busing fails and results in a ruined bushing.)

Tom

Discussion Thread

halaloszto 2002-03-17 08:08:44 UTC material for slide bushings Tom Benedict 2002-03-17 10:55:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] material for slide bushings Sven Peter 2002-03-17 11:23:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] material for slide bushings Steve 2002-03-17 13:45:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] material for slide bushings Bill Vance 2002-03-18 14:58:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] material for slide bushings