CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] material for slide bushings

Posted by Steve
on 2002-03-17 13:45:10 UTC
From: "halaloszto" <halaloszto@...>

> i am planning to build a small mill. cannot afford too much for the
> project, so commercial linear guides are out of reach.

I assume you are talking about the ones with bearings. Those are great
for stuff where the table never gets hit or gets a sudden load thrown on it.
When the table gets jarred the bearings tend to leave little dents and that
messes with your finishes. As far as the bushing type, I would still just as
soon make my own.

> the question is: what would You use for the bushings on a 1/2in steel
> rod/maybe aluminum.

Between steel and aluminum I would pick a steel, probably A-2 and S-7 (A-2
for one part and S-7 for the part that rides against it). What would be my
first choice is an Oil Lite Bronze or a Nickel Aluminum Bronze, going with
the Ni/Al bronze if the loads were going to be really heavy. The Oil Lite
(probable spelled wrong ;) Bronzes hold oil and will almost never stick to a
steel.

Discussion Thread

halaloszto 2002-03-17 08:08:44 UTC material for slide bushings Tom Benedict 2002-03-17 10:55:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] material for slide bushings Sven Peter 2002-03-17 11:23:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] material for slide bushings Steve 2002-03-17 13:45:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] material for slide bushings Bill Vance 2002-03-18 14:58:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] material for slide bushings