CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC Jeweller's site

on 2002-03-19 19:34:20 UTC
Thanks Alan, I always appreciate compliments. The website can also be
accessed via:

www.statmandesigns.com

Same site with a redirect from that link.

As many of you know I do everything with my Sherline 5000 mill converted to
CNC using Camtronics 2A kit. There is no real trick, just brute force with
the G-Code. I usually write everything by hand since most of my engravings
are heavily mathematical. I tend to design everything in polar coordinates
using Microsoft Excel. X and y data points (after conversion from r and
theta) are easily generated with mathematical formulas using whatever step
size I think is appropriate. Excel allows simple graphs to be composed of
connected points with straight lines which is exactly how the G01 function
works so you see exactly what you will get.

I have some really basic macros written to convert the columns of X and Y
data points into useable G-Code after a simple copy and past into Microsoft
word.

For text engraving, I have started to use Vector, but I still prefer the
Excel method since I am about 1000 times quicker at that. A simple
substitution for the Y-axis coordinates is made to convert to the rotary
axis.

I will gladly answer CNC related questions about the process on this board,
but please realize that this is how I am currently making my living, and
some questions will not be answered.

Daniel J. Statman, Statman Designs
www.statmandesigns.com