CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

BDI at NAMES was Re: EMC questions, steppermod? & what/why amps

Posted by IMService
on 2002-03-21 07:28:23 UTC
> Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 01:38:18 -0500
> From: Ken Jenkins <kjenkins@...>
>Subject: Re: EMC questions, steppermod? & what/why amps
>

>Also someone mentioned in another post about having a network card
>in your BDI victim (as we seem to be calling them) would be handy
>... does this imply that BDI can be installed over a LAN? ... if
>so .... very cool ... I'm impressed! In use I would like to program
>on my CAD machine and up the file over a network to my dedicated
>purpose machine control machine ... it has been intimated here that
>this is also a possibility ... correct? How easily is this done
>in practice? i.e. is there special sheeenaigans happening or are
>we just talking a file transfer to the right directory where EMC
>can see it?

Ken,

The reference to the NIC was dating back to a discussion that
we had earlier this year in which I bemoaned the difficulty of learning
(and dealing with) Linux and why, why, oh why, can't somebody invent a
BDI for idiots like me. ;-)

The process would be install the BDI, plug into the network, and actually
RUN EMC from the MS/Win, Mac OS, etc machine. No kbd, monitor, mouse
needed on the BDI machine. Hence the "Black box heaven or the real bdi" thread of a
couple months ago. (Look for msg 38155 for the thread.)

Paul Corner is working on this concept. I have a classroom full of Dell
Pentium Pro 200 machines with NIC, and at least one has a sufficient
harddrive and RAM for a Linux install. That's been pretested.

I hope to bring one of my dells (the intended BDI victim) a hub, and
another computer ( probably the one attached to our Sherline with
the rotary 4th axis). If all goes well, we will run my Sherline with the
black box BDI from my Wintel computer. I'll be able to program in Vector
simultaneously while the other computer (the BDI) is running the Mill and be able
to monitor status and control from the Wintel machine running Vector.

In theory I should be able to use the BDI from my lap top too, there
are lots of things that come to mind.

Best Regards, Fred Smith- IMService

Listserve Special discounts and offers are at:
http://www.vectorcam.com/cced2.html

We are THE source for low cost Cad Cam

Discussion Thread

IMService 2002-03-21 07:28:23 UTC BDI at NAMES was Re: EMC questions, steppermod? & what/why amps Paul 2002-03-21 11:45:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] BDI at NAMES was Re: EMC questions, steppermod? & what/why amps