CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] auto-trans

Posted by Hugh Prescott
on 2002-03-21 07:39:14 UTC
sounds like a fero resonate transformer for voltage regulation to me.

Old technology but they do the job.

The only way to "safely use" a variac (variable output autotransformer) is
with proper case grounding AND an isolation transformer after the variac.

Unless you have all the stuff already it is cheaper to go with a standard
powersupply.

One other note on variacs the brushes and contact surface like to be
exercised and any situtation where the brushes would not be moved frequently
may cause power dropouts on movement of the brush.

Hugh

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Snodgrass" <snarf@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2002 9:28 AM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] auto-trans

> Hello all, After deciding to put my variac to rest, I remembered that I
have two 50A staco voltage regs installed at the service to my shop along
with line filters, which I am using to power my tig and plascut units. I
am going to check them to see if they are isolated, if they are, could I
then use the 20A variac in safety? I reallize the ideal would be between
the high and low voltages. All
> my power supplies of the same rating, are a lot larger. If the units
arn't isolated, I will scrap the idea again.

> Also, I was checking one supply which had outputs of 12 and 28V, and
noticed two leads coming from the output which were connected to a 660V AC
6mf cap. I measured 550v accross. What gives?
> Thanx
> Mike

> OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
you have trouble.

> http://www.jobshophomeshop@yahoogroups.com I consider this as a sister
site to the CCED group, as many of the same memembers are there, for OT