CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EMC questions, steppermod? & what/why amps

Posted by Paul
on 2002-03-21 11:45:42 UTC
Hi Ken

There are basically two stepper driver modules for EMC, steppermod and
freqmod. Freqmod requires a far amount of processor power due to the way the
pulse train is generated. Steppermod is best described as basic bit banging
pulse generation - A little ragged and at times crude.
There is also smdromod - Freqmod with encoder feedback, and Jon's ppmc module.

As long as speed is not your major requirement, then a P166 is quite capable
of being used with EMC. Heck, I have a P133 here that I use as a test bed,
AND it runs freqmod - It ain't fast, and I can make a cup of coffee before it
completes some moves...

Whilst a network card is not essential for a BDI install, it can be done very
easily over a TCP/IP link as long as the server allows access to the BDI
directory. Later on, having a NIC will allow the sharing of files,
directories, and printers acrros your network - Even with Windows boxes.

Pick up a linux book at your local library and consult the chapters on Samba
for more information.

Regards, Paul.

On Thursday 21 March 2002 06:38, Ken Jenkins wrote:

> steppermod better than what? in comparison to what other EMC module
> that I could be using except for the fact that I need steppermod?
>
> Also if my skanky ol' 166 is ho-hum what Mhz CPU gets me into the
> moderately zippy range ... minimum! (think .... still cheap and
> available at your local "very used iron-monger", I don't want or
> need a Pentium 4 :-) The 166 cost me $50 ... speaking of that anyone
> got a lead on old school style memory for this creature I guess
> I should really crank it up from 32M to 64M?
>
> > with the 166 so you will need a bit of care selecting the stepper amps.
>
> No choice here I have (4) PacSci 6410's, got um free and ain't
> buying anything else :-) step and direction needed
>
> if you want to have a peek at the specs for these
> http://www.pacsci.com/support/downloads.html#6400
>
> Why would I "care" what amps BTW?
>
> Also someone mentioned in another post about having a network card
> in your BDI victim (as we seem to be calling them) would be handy
> ... does this imply that BDI can be installed over a LAN? ... if
> so .... very cool ... I'm impressed! In use I would like to program
> on my CAD machine and up the file over a network to my dedicated
> purpose machine control machine ... it has been intimated here that
> this is also a possibility ... correct? How easily is this done
> in practice? i.e. is there special sheeenaigans happening or are
> we just talking a file transfer to the right directory where EMC
> can see it?

Discussion Thread

Ken Jenkins 2002-03-20 22:38:21 UTC Re: EMC questions, steppermod? & what/why amps Paul 2002-03-21 11:45:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EMC questions, steppermod? & what/why amps