CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Where to buy non induction resistors

Posted by Tony Jeffree
on 2002-03-28 22:04:53 UTC
'Fraid your description of a constant current drive is actually a
description of a chopper. A constant current drive continuously varies the
voltage across its output in order to keep the output current constant; it
doesn't switch the output on & off like a chopper. Hence, as pointed out
elsewhere in this thread, the constant current circuitry tends to be
trickier to design than a chopper circuit, mostly because the power stage
has to dissipate significant amounts of power in order to achieve this.

Regards,
Tony

At 05:21 29/03/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>L/R drive just uses a constant voltage and the maximum current is
>set by the series resistance. Because of the motor inductance,
>applying say 12V causes the current not to be maximum instantly,
>but to ramp up to it. If the pulses are short, then the current
>doesn't get up very high, so motor torque is less at higher speeds
>when the pulses are shortest.
>
>Constant current works by using higher voltage (like 80V) on the
>windings, and no resistors. The current ramps up faster thru the
>motor windings because of the higher voltage. When the current
>reaches a maximum, a monitoring circuit removes the voltage.
>This action is pulsing, and with various systems, the frequency
>can be from 200Hz up to 50kHz or more. Maximum current and torque
>is maintained at maximum motor speeds. The method uses no resistor
>to limit the current, so you don't get the heating problems.
>
>lenskeeper2000 wrote:
> >
> > Okay, so it sounds like I'm wasting my time worrying about resistor
> > induction. Sound like I can just stick in normal power resistors and
> > get about the same result. (I tried upping my voltage with what I
> > had around the house and really liked the improvement but this was
> > just a test was cooking the resistors)
> >
> > What is a constant current drive? Isn't that the same thing as a L/R
> > Drive circuit? (I my have just demonstrated my ignormace)
> >
> > Roger
> >
> > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Russell Shaw <rjshaw@i...> wrote:
> > > The inductance of *any* resistor will be *much* lower than the
> > > inductance of any motor. The only way is to use higher supply
> > > voltage, lower inductance motors, or constant current drive.

> > found
> > if

> > eventually

Discussion Thread

lenskeeper2000 2002-03-28 12:28:44 UTC Where to buy non induction resistors RichD. 2002-03-28 13:42:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Where to buy non induction resistors Russell Shaw 2002-03-28 15:43:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Where to buy non induction resistors lenskeeper2000 2002-03-28 17:33:46 UTC Re: Where to buy non induction resistors Russell Shaw 2002-03-28 17:48:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Where to buy non induction resistors Tony Jeffree 2002-03-28 22:04:53 UTC Re: Where to buy non induction resistors Jon Elson 2002-03-28 22:32:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Where to buy non induction resistors Russell Shaw 2002-03-29 00:56:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Where to buy non induction resistors lenskeeper2000 2002-03-29 21:10:45 UTC Re: Where to buy non induction resistors