CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Newbie Loosing Mind........Need Shootout......Small Desktops..FAST

on 2002-03-30 05:35:39 UTC
Sherline offers what they call a "CNC Ready" mill which is their standard
mill and their coupling kit already attached. They do not offer a CNC mill
themselves, but have a list of vendors that will supply either a complete
CNC mill based on their hardware, or who offer turn-key systems that you
simply bolt on to the motor mounts. If you choose Sherline, you also have
the option of rolling your own CNC if you really want to save some bucks.
That's what I chose to do, and I'm happy with the results. BTW, Sherline's
coupling kit is excellent!

Taig, I believe, offers a complete CNC mill, complete with software.
However, their CNC system does not use step/direction drivers, but has the
computer generate "phase" output signals to drive their power drivers.
Several folks on the Taig list have indicated that this is a disadvantage to
the Taig system, as it limits the software that you can use to drive the
system; they would prefer a step/direction driver. Of course, as with
Sherline, you have the option of rolling your own. I don't know if Taig
offers a coupling kit.

One other thing to consider - will you be purchasing a desktop lathe in the
future? If so, you might want to evaluate the lathes at this time as well.
Both Sherline and Taig sell lathes In Sherline's case, several of the
accessories (and most folks here will tell you that accessories are to
metalworking what blades are to razors - by far the largest portion of your
costs) they sell fit both the lathe and the mill, allowing you to minimize
your overall purchases.

If you're willing to do a little work yourself, you can save some serious
dollars by selecting your motors, drives, etc. and integrating your own
system.

Hope this helps,

-- Carol & Jerry Jankura
Strongsville, Ohio