CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] PLASMA NOISE

Posted by Chris L
on 2002-03-31 19:07:44 UTC
Raul,
First off, Are you sure it is "noise"?

Just to make sure, If you have the ability to disconnect and "freeslide" an axis (all good designs will allow this) you should move the unit by hand and make sure it runs true. You mention that it
runs smooth when the plasma is off, but you might want to hang a dial indicator on the torch head and let it ride on a straight edge to make sure.
Sometimes, you can see a wobble real easy when a part is cut, but not so easy when just the axis is moving. This can be even more prevalent if your cutting torch drops quite a distance to reach the
metal. When it is in the up position (assuming it has a motor controlled Z axis), you may not see anything wiggle, but when down the added distance from the Linear components can Amplify a small error
making it a BIG error.

If it is noise, Do you have all your drive components shielded by mounting them in a closed metal cabinet ?
Are your motors connected using Shielded Cable ? Are the Shields connected on one or both ends ?

Chris L