CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] PLASMA NOISE

Raul Lara wrote:

> I?m using the software to run a plasma cutter (gantry
> style)
>
> I?m getting an interference between the motors and the
> plasma.
>
> If I run the machine without the plasma, it runs very
> smooth, but once I turn the plasma on the motors gets
> something as an on/off pattern or like a vibration.
>
> The plasma cut is not even, it?s something like a
> small zig zag pattern.
>
> I?m running the machine with Geckodrives G201, Pacific
> Scientific stepper motors and Microkinetics PWR36
> power supply.
>
> What can I do to isolate this problem?

Most likely, the problem is the plasma machine is inducing noise
into the step input of the Gecko drives. You first should isolate
the plasma torch from the entire motion gantry. Sheets of
plastic may do fine for this. Then, you have the workpiece.
it could be hard to isolate the workpiece from the table.
I don't have any great ideas here.

Make sure the wires from the computer to the gecko drives
are kept well away from anything connected to the plasma
machine. You may need to electrically isolate the motors
from the gantry.

Raul Lara 2002-03-31 16:49:25 UTC PLASMA NOISE Chris L 2002-03-31 19:07:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] PLASMA NOISE Jon Elson 2002-03-31 23:22:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] PLASMA NOISE aspaguy 2002-04-01 19:54:45 UTC Re: PLASMA NOISE