CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] BOBCad and Iges import

Posted by Dave Lantz
on 2002-04-09 05:53:44 UTC
a solid CAD model is predefined mathmatically by whatever means you use to
create it. a 'parametric' model has a variable mathmatic definition. (you
can tell it to put the bolt hole in the MIDDLE of that surface--and when the
part changes size, the bolt hole will remain in the middle of the surface!)
para=changing
metric=measurements
so you can design the part by it's intent, not just its dimensions. you can
also design a 'generic' part or assembly, meant to be used in a variety of
applications, and controll the varied dimensions by a chart. takes alot of
the number crunching out of it... very nice for designers & engineers...
some of the notable parametric modelers:
Pro/e--very expensive
solidworks--very expensive
prodesktop--free! but has limited assembly abilities
varkon--free! claims it does 2d parametrics, haven't been able to get it
yet, works on linux!
do a 'google' search, you'll probably find alot more!---Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Russell [mailto:rjshaw@...]
Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 5:29 AM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] BOBCad and Iges import

onecooltoolfool wrote:

> Just so you guys know my opinion. Rhino is the most powerful CAD
> package for the money ever invented. Granted it is not parametric
> (and that really bugs us engineers) but with some skill and patience
> you can model anything. Try that for 800 bucks anywhere else.
> Besides the fact that you can do most of what you need with the free
> demo and 20 saves.

What does 'parametric' mean for a cad tool?

Addresses:

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
you have trouble.

site to the CCED group, as many of the same memembers are there, for OT

Post messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Moderator: jmelson@... timg@... [Moderator]
bill,
List Mom