CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] mini-Robo

Posted by John Guenther
on 2002-04-10 05:38:44 UTC
Hi Lee,

I am building a machine based on the mini-robo design but I am using THK
linear rails instead of the round rails used on the mini-robo. The
resolution that they spec for the mini-robo is based on a 1 inch pitch lead
screw, therefore 1/400 = 0.0025 assuming that the stepper motors are being
run in half step mode for 400 steps per rev. I will be using either 10 or
20 pitch lead screws on my version which will greatly increase the
resolution at the cost of limiting the maximum feed rates that the machine
will do.

The issue of movement on the X, Y, and Z axis is more of a software issue
than machine design in the case of the mini-robo. The mini-robo has stepper
motors and lead screws on all three axis so given the proper control
software you should be able to perform 2.5 or 3D machining with no problems.

John Guenther
Sterling, Virginia